Thursday 8 November 2012

Potato printing Christmas cards & Blog Hop

Pin It


It's counting down to Christmas time again and this week it's Christmas cards. 

Counting down to Christmas is a blog hop focusing on a new Christmassy theme each week, last weeks theme was advent and the link is staying open till Christmas so check it out and hook up your ideas!


If your a regular reader you'll know that the boys love to paint, but the results they produce are, how can I put it??  More focused on process than product!  So getting them to produce something vaguely attractive is not easy!

So, I thought we'd go for a classic - potato printing.  I cut out a Christmas tree freehand, but used cookie cutters to make a star and hearts.


Then with strict instructions to not paint themselves and to print without swishing the paint around the boys got printing.


As you can tell Champ took this task very seriously...


... and produced some nice Christmas trees.


Whilst, Bud managed a few hearts he then used the potatoes to swipe the paint round the page (sigh).


To turn our potato prints into cards I cut the prints out and glued them onto white cards.  I added a bit of glitter to some for a bit of sparkle and embossed 'Merry Christmas' on the bottom.  Not bad I thought for boys who can't resist smearing themselves in paint!


Have you made any Christmas cards recently?  If you have then why not join me and my co-hosts Rainy Day Mum, Here come the girls, The Boy and Me, Life at the zoo, Jennifer's Little World, Playful Learners and MummyMummyMum in linking up your Christmas card ideas.

Don't forget to link up any advent ideas too.  Next week Tree Decorations

I'm entering this post in a competition - check it out here http://www.moneysupermarket.com/christmas/christmas-card-craft-off/

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was fun, definitely a classic for a reason

      Delete
  2. Wow such lovely colourful cards

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never thought to use cookie cutters to make the potato printer!! So clever! And much easier than free handing with a knife for the artistically challenged like me. :) Thanks for stopping by my blog, definitely give the sock monkeys a go, they turn out pretty cute! - your newest follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea, would be perfect for wrapping paper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that what i called creativity is...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never thought of using cookie cutters either, what a great idea! The cards are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh we've not done potato printing - you cut out really good shapes too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are adorable! My boys would totally swish the paint around, too. lol
    Thanks for sharing with The Sunday Showcase!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea it was to use cookie cutters to make the designs on the potatoes!

    I would love for you to link this up to the Holiday Hop of Goodies on my site. http://www.jdaniel4smom.com/2012/11/holiday-hop-of-goodies-introducing-our.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing on Tuesday Tots! I am featuring your post this week on In Lieu of Preschool: http://www.inlieuofpreschool.com/2012/11/christmas-is-coming-ten-great-activities-to-get-you-ready-for-the-holidays.html Please feel free to stop by and grab a featured button. Off to pin!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun idea! Would love it if you linked up on my blog hop www.w-t-fab.com/search/label/bloghop. Also let me know if you'd like to follow each other!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Captivating designs that inspires me a lot...

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea, Making designs with cuts of potato is quite an innovative idea. If we do some Christmas Printing in this way it would be enjoying and fun time but on large scale it is not possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right I don't think we could do this on a much bigger scale, but for two kids in the garden it worked great

      Delete
  14. These are fab. My two still like to swirl the paint around even at six and seven. It must be a boys thing. I blog at A Thrifty Mum and Mum in The Mad House

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are great. I need a Plastic card printing machine. Where i can get the best one?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glitters have made the designing and printing work more attractive but children are also very talented. This is the best time to get good exposure by designing and printing Christmas cards.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very well done project to teach the little ones a useful skill. They should feel proud of job well done ! Wish you and family a very happy New Year !

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is an awesome way to teach our children about painting and art work. Your way of blogging is very easy to understand. I always like this kind of step by step points post because in this way anyone can understand the points easily. These potato printing Christmas cards are really unique and awesome way to wish our friends.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Having trouble pinning this... it shows up without an image and won't let me pin...any ideas or fixes?? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne, I'm not sure why there's a problem, but you could try this link to my original pin of this post and repin that instead? http://pinterest.com/pin/192740059024263793/

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...