Monday 5 November 2012

Things to do with left over pumpkin and kids

Pin It


Welcome!  Given the huge number of pumpkin crafts there's been in the blogging world lately I'm guessing that I'm not the only one who has a pumpkin that needs using up!  We'd done plenty of pumpkin cooking, so I figured it was time for some fun......

1 - Hammering
I've seen this a few places (I think I first saw it on Time for Play) and mostly other people have used golf tees, I couldn't find ours so we used cocktail sticks instead.  It made it less suitable for little Dude who's only one so he had to mostly watch, but Champ always loves the opportunity to bash things!


2 - Scooping and seed collecting
If you carved your pumpkin you've probably already done this, but we scooped out the seeds with an ice cream scoop and the boys had a good old feel of the inside.  We have also dried our seeds hoping to plant them



3 - Small world play
I added some water to the flesh we'd scooped out and we added some dinosaurs for a bit of fun, making the perfect pre-historic swamp. 

Champ's pre-school had done this the day before, but with a large water table and the pumpkin floated making it really swamp like!




4 - Baby Play
Little Dude is only 13mths, but this was a great sensory material for him and he loved scooping up pumpkin, transferring it to a bowl, tipping it back and starting all over again!



5 - Cutting
Champ loves knives and loves to chop things up, so under supervision he chopped up pumpkin.



6 - Mashing
Inspired by Childhood Beckons we got out the masher and Champ got stuck in.



7 - Pumpkin Oobleck
Once nicely mashed we added cornflour for some pumpkin gloop having spotted this idea on Inspiration Laboratories.  Not quite the full gloop liquid vs solid experience you get with regular gloop, but still good fun



8 - Shaving Cream Pumpkin
To a separate batch we then squirted some shaving cream which made it lighter and fluffier, but still pretty slimy!




9 - Concoction Making
All three boys love Roald Dahl and their current favourite is 'George's Marvellous Medicine' so they love every opportunity to make a potion.  We mixed the gloop and the shaving foam pumpkin together then added flour, oats and food colouring at Champs request.



10 - Make 'cakes'
We got the muffin cases out and made birthday cakes as the mixture was thickening up now and then we spread it out on the baking tray. 

What are you going to do with your pumpkins?
If you liked this then pop back soon or why not check out our facebook page.

12 comments:

  1. I'm loving the sensory play! My 11 month old would love it (except everything goes in the mouth these days). Looks like they had a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by. Our youngest is still at the 'everything in the mouth stage' too but didn't go for the raw pumpkin this time!

      Delete
  2. I wanted so much to do some stuff like this with my boys (3 yo and 15 months), but they both did not like touching the ooey gooey insides. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately we seem to have the opposite problem, I did have to scrape some off the wall after it got flicked about a bit (sigh!). I hope your boys enjoy pumpkins next year

      Delete
  3. what FUN ideas - I'm pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is actually worth going out and buying another pumpkin for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ours are still on the front steps! I love this list of what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh! Lots of messy fun. What a great idea to put those pumpkins to good use. Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the way you are embracing the mess. So many good ideas - I think my girls would really enjoy hammering cocktail sticks into a pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We carved our and they are still sitting on the front steps... I wonder if they are still in good enough condition to play bit with them. It looks like a lot of messy fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm thrilled that my post inspired a little of the sensory play! Thank you so much for linking back to me. That looks like a lot of pumpkin fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great ideas!! Thank you so much for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...