Wednesday 14 November 2012

Things to do with foil and kids

Pin It


We are still really enjoying our 'Things to do with' series, this week..... foil!

1 - Foil Painting
There's lots of painting on foil posts out there my favourite being from Picklebums.  Foil painting is exactly that - you paint on foil, not rocket science, but something a bit different and it creates a nice effect that's different to paper.


Here are the results:



2 - Cutting
Yep, you guessed it we got the scissors out and snipped up the foil!  Again a bit different from paper, so a twist on a classic!



3 - Wrap up your toys
I'm not sure why this appealed so much, but the boys thought this was awesome.  We literally wrapped them up, but you could do some secretly and get kids to guess what's underneath as well.



4 - Shoot hoops
Left over from a mask making craft I had a paper plate with the centre cut out so we covered it in foil....


... we scrunched up some foil and started using the hoop for target practise.



5 - Foil Boats
We did this a while ago using a foil container, but you could make your own out of foil like they did at Mama Smiles




6 - Superhero escape
This is a terrible picture, but was awesome fun!  Basically I wrapped the boys in foil so their arms were tucked in and then we'd count down and they'd explode out!!  A waste of foil, but great, great fun!



7 - Treasure hunt
Nice and shiny, balls of foil make for an excellent treasure hunt - perfect for some outdoor play




8 - Karate chopping
Reusing the foil from our superhero escapes we then started karate chopping.  The boys thought this was amazing, it made a huge mess with bits of foil everywhere, but was worth it.  Basically we held bits of foil for each other then karate chopped it - what's not to love!



9 - Paint mark making
Another way to paint check out our mark making on foil



10 - Solar Oven
I don't think we'd manage this one now as I don't think I've seen the sun for days!  But, if you do have sunshine you could make a solar oven



11 - Glue gun art
This was my favourite of all our activities and definitely gave me some 'cool Mum' points with my boys!  First, under strict supervision I let the boys use the glue gun to create patterns on card.


When the glue was dry I used a glue stick on the foil then stuck this down to the glued card.  I folded the edges so you end up with your raised glue from the glue gun under the foil.  Then take a shoe brush and brush the foil down around the raised glue.


This creates an awesome effect!  Check out my foil Pinterest board to see really gorgeous results others have created.  Plus, come back tomorrow to see how we used this effect to make some super easy Christmas decorations.


Liked this?  Then why not like our Facebook page or check out some of our other 'Things to do with posts' - pumpkins, acorns, more acorns,  odd socks, pinecones, chestnuts, more chestnuts and carrots.

15 comments:

  1. i LOVE new messy ideas. thank you! B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like them, messiest was definitely the painting!

      Delete
  2. Hi there! I love reading your blog, so I've nominated you for the Liebster Award.

    http://grok78.wordpress.com/2012/11/13/a-gold-star-well-kind-of/

    ReplyDelete
  3. foil is such cool stuff to play with isn't it! Similar to paper but oh so different and so fun to explore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the glue gun art is brilliant - i am definitely trying that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Foil is so much fun. We painted/created elephants using foil after seeing Kids World Citizen do it. Now, I have more fun foil ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephants, wow. That is cretive! I did pin some foil modelling, but didn't get round to it, I think we may be revisiting the foil play some time soon!

      Delete
  6. I love the glue art. Great ideas for foil! Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun! When I was a kid, my mom would always make my siblings and me crowns out of foil. She'd fold and snip out triangles and tape it around our heads. We loved playing with our shiny crowns. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea, I love the crown idea. The boys love to pretend to be knights and kings so we might have to get the foil out again soon!

      Delete
  8. What fun ideas!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all of the ways to play with foil! Thanks for sharing at the Sunday Showcase. I'm featuring you this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many fun ideas! Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Have a great week,
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...